The Washington Post has a very impressive report that covers drone crashes and near misses with aircraft in the United States. It makes the FAA’s case very nicely that drones need to be tightly regulated and restricted.
Which makes a certain bit of sense. But too much control and we’re going to lose a lot of benefits.
- Drones are a valuable tool for journalists.
- Regulators can observe a lot of activity in remote areas.
- Search and rescue efforts can pinpoint lost people. Maybe even deliver emergency supplies.
- Dangerous inspections can be conducted remotely.
- Emergency communications can be augmented.
- Law enforcement. (Enuf said)
- Fire fighters can gain valuable surveillance in a variety of situations.
I’m all for safety. But lets balance it with progress.